Scott Bowman brings more than 20 years of consulting and operational leadership experience in sales and marketing, business development, strategic planning, and corporate development (M&A, licensing and partnerships).
He has built several businesses and advised companies – from startups to Fortune 1000 firms – in the technology, business services, resources, durables, consumer products, for-profit education and non-profit industries.
At Clareo, Scott co-leads Clareo’s Corporate Venturing practice area, which is focused on driving innovation, growth and new business creation through partnering with startups & emerging businesses. He has also applied the principles of entrepreneurship and business innovation across a range of contexts – including:
- Establishing corporate entrepreneurship, venturing & VC programs in corporate & public-sector context
- New business design and launch for a private, for-profit education business
- Business model innovation for a global nutrition firm moving from products to services & solutions
- IP licensing strategy for a technology startup pioneering the wireless power industry
- Driving growth through new ecosystem partnering models for a leading personal hygiene company
- Investing in & advising startup businesses through Clareo Capital – Clareo’s angel investment arm
Prior to Clareo, he led a $50 million business unit for X-Rite Inc., and co-led merger integration planning for the $280M merger with GretagMacbeth, a Swiss company X-Rite acquired in 2006. He has also held multiple leadership positions with Siebel Systems (now Oracle Corp.) overseeing teams responsible for Alliance Business Development, Global Channel Operations, Product Management and WW Sales Operations. From 1999–2001, he helped design, launch and run a startup within the business that grew from $0 to $70M in 18 months. Scott earned his MBA from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University.
Outside of his work at Clareo, Scott is on the Board of Trustees for Ada Christian School, and on the Board of Advisors for Partners in Compassionate Care, which built a hospital in South Sudan in 2008 and continues to provide support there. He is also active in mentoring and training entrepreneurs in developing countries and has traveled to Kyrgyzstan to provide strategic planning assistance for emerging businesses in the region.
- Corporate Growth Strategy
- Strategic Planning Frameworks & Models
- Corporate Development (M&A, Licensing, Partnerships)
- Sales Process & Sales Operations
- New Business Design
- Portfolio Strategy & Management
Featured Speaking Engagements
- Certified Innovation Mentor Program - Executive Education Program at Mendoza School of Business, Notre Dame University, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Accelerating Innovation through External Venturing - The National Security Agency, December 2017; Coca-Cola, September 2017; Kraft Foods, 2016
- Accelerating Innovation and Growth through Corporate Venturing, Moderator and host, CME Group, December 2014
- Creating Radical New Value: Business Innovation & the Art of Entrepreneurship -- Cornerstone University MBA Program, August 2014
- Leading the Innovation Imperative: Corporate Entrepreneurship & Venturing -- Whirlpool Certified Innovation Mentor Program, Mendoza College of Business Executive Education, Notre Dame University, May 2014
- Corporate Entrepreneurship & New Business Creation -- Spark Business Plan Competition, Whirlpool Corporation, December 2013
- Creating Transformational Growth -- Association for Corporate Growth Western Michigan, September 2011 (3-Program Series)
Custom Executive Education & Capability Development Programs
- Executive Mentor & Facilitator, BP Sales & Marketing Leadership Program -- Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, 2012 and 2013.
- Program Design & Leadership - ACE Academy (leadership program for the portfolio companies of Alticor) -- 2010, 2011, and 2012.